Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Pop, Pop, Pop Music

Have you ever loved an artist, like Dido-(Thank you)?   Loved her. Listened to her a lot.  Then someone at my office played her cd on repeat for days on end.  Now when I hear her, I want to turn her OFF!  That makes me mad, really.  Here is why: that person ruined it for me.  Now, when I hear any Dido song, I think of sitting at that desk doing my Data Entry job and hearing it over and over.  Like on repeat, for 25 days...Not. Kidding.  Urg. 

This leads me to think of pop radio.  You know...KISS (KIIS) fm in Anytown, USA.  I like it...in the car only.  But they are like the lady at my office with Dido on repeat for days on end. If you listen for more than an hour at a time,  you will hear the same 5 songs.  If you are 10, like my boys are, you can even figure this out, which they have. They even asked me about it...don't get me started.

I like Pop Music...there, I admitted it, in public.  Don't hate me.  I believe this can be one of my trademarks, that along with wearing silver hoop earrings (working on that one).  Friends have made fun, and I do not care, okay?  Yes, I like Ke$ha, and Owl City Fireflies and whoever else is "it" right now.  However, I rarely buy it.  I listen to it, til it fades and they are no longer playing "it" on KISS fm any more.

At my age (read, getting older, at least old enough to rarely be carded, God bless that sweet bartender who recently did) I feel young listening with my kids and knowing what is "going on" in the big world out there.  You know I like Idol, so all this should not be shocking by any means.  Hey, as the kids say..."it's got a good beat and you can dance to it."  I have gotten heat for it, taken flack and been teased...you know who you are.

Did you know Kelly and I were on American Bandstand, by the way?  Well, we were, so there.  It was season 31. And kids at school (RHS) actually saw it, back in our heyday.  Now if I could just figure out how to get the video fixed to put on a dvd to upload to youtube so you could all see our big old 80's bangs.  Working on that too.  (Some links though, we were on episodes: 6,7,8, 14,15,16...Jelly Bean was on AB, Who Found Who vid, Season 31 line upTiffany on AB, I think that is me at the front of the stage at 1:50 but not sure. This stuff is so cheesy-it was the 80's.)

What I really want to know though, is if I am "that old"?  So old, that what was quirky, new, crazy and different back when I was a teen is now on the PA at the market?!!  When, how...what??  How did my much loved Squeeze, Style Council and even the less known Housemartins Happy Hour become elevator music or worse, played at the Applebee's in Idaho Falls!?  Tragic I say.

Idol talk...getting bored with the boys.  Not a real fan of any.  I like that weird chick who sang the big note in the Aretha song last week though.  Here is a link to the Song, big note at 1.11-pretty shocking. She is one to watch.  I did have to laugh that the term Dark Horse needed to be explained to one of the girls though.

No comments:

Post a Comment