Thursday, January 14, 2010

Waiting on the World to Change



A few topics today (may take two posts).  I want to start with John Mayer.  I really like John.  Or should I say his music?  I do not really know much about him personally.  We have seen him in concert, had a John phase of music, and do with each new album he puts out.  But, I have to say, after hearing his newest radio played song, Who Says I am seeing why people do not like him.  I have not yet really watched the video, maybe it will tell the story, from the 42 seconds I have watched so far, I think it may. 


With lyrics like “I don’t remember you looking any better, But then again, I don’t remember you,” I feel as if John may be a  player Use the girls up and spit them out.  Maybe.  As a woman, it just ticks me off.  Go get stoned John, fine, stay up late, and even be blatant about using women, but do not be mad when you are not liked.



Onto a guilty pleasure…you know you like it.
That’s right, American Idol .  I admit it, I love it.  I watch every episode and enjoy it.
However, I just get so irritated during the try out episodes.  I think I am delusional, because I believe I may know something about auditions, not that I have been on many, but a few. 
I get that this needs to be funny, entertaining, etc.  Even that some people just want to be on tv for the sake of being on tv.
But this is what gets me about some people that try out that really think they have a shot and stink and leave crying or upset:
  1. If you never auditioned before, do not make this your first.  Get some experience so you have practice with rejection.  Even go for a free lesson many vocal coaches are willing to provide to see if you really have something.
  2. If you are really bad, didn’t someone have the heart to tell you so?  Like your mom?  She should have saved you the embarrassment.
  3. If you are really bad-accept it. These people are in the music industry-trust them; they are not lying to you to “keep you down”.  They know real talent.  Look at Simon’s track record http://www.leonalewismusic.co.uk/us/.  Lots of success there.
  4. Whether you are good or not, try to look presentable.  I am not saying get a stylist, but if you can, do it.  If you can’t then at least comb your hair and wear something clean.  Seriously.  And no gimmicks.  Again, refer to your mom-unless she is some kind of wacko, she will give it to you straight.
  5. Pick a song the judges like.  It is common knowledge that there are some songs Simon is not going to like.  Do not pick it.  I love to sing Pat Benetar but know he would cringe if that is what I came in with.
Rant off.  Feedback welcome!


1 comment:

  1. Yes. Those peeps who think they are really good....Someone has certainly told them they are NOT. Right?!

    ReplyDelete