Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Musings from the 80's. Why you so weird.

Growing up in  LaLaLand, I think music was so prevalent. There was so much to choose from, even in days without internet and global communications as there are today. I remember going to visit my Dad in the Seattle area in the late 70's and thinking how behind they were (before grunge, remember?) I know this would not be the case in most of America now, but it lent itself to being able to discover gems that others, I realize still do not know. It often strikes me as odd, because everyone I grew up with can remember these. We were music pioneers. Or so we thought. We had KROQ, who claimed to be world famous, and now is. With New Wave the new thing and Punk in the background.


I tried to pass myself off as punk, but could never measure up. However, if you were a kid who knew nothing about music in those days, I could rattle off stuff and sound pretty wise and hip and have you believing I was cool and maybe a bit punk too.


I loved the likes of Aztec Camera, The Clash, De peche Mode, Blamange, Joe Jackson and the list could go on.


Take a gander at these. Have you heard them?


I have to admit, I like oddball music too. The more obscure I deem it to be, the better. (This lent to some of my punk pull offs). This leads me to They Might Be Giants. Seemingly one hit wonders with Birdhouse in Your Soul . However, not the case. Their music has been used for so many shows and things you would not expect. You're Not the Boss of Me Now is one of my faves and it was the title song for Malcolm in the Middle.  My kids like them too. The are quirky enough.
Some other quirky obscurities for your listening pleasure:



Now on to my rant (s) for the day.

Have you heard of Ke$ha? Tik Tok What is she, maybe 20, maybe? Singing how she is going to wash her mouth out with a bottle of Jack and likes boys who look like Mick Jager who could be her gandpa, by the way! Her mother must be so proud. But, it is catchy, and the kids can dance to it.


Did you hear? Sade has a new song out. What? Yes, I say. My hubby is a huge fan of hers. Some mood music if I do say so myself. But this new song is not sultry, not sweet, it is weird. It does not even sound like her. (Kind of like Nora Jones' new one).

Take a listen and weigh in...


Out to see Howie DayHowie Day and Serena Ryder tonight, with the kiddies...mine. Should be fun.

2 comments:

  1. I think you were more into the music scene then I was Nik back in high school. I was into Culture Club in Jr. High, onto Duran Duran, followed by Depeche Mode. They were my favs! Remember the days when we would sit by our radio with a cassette loaded, waiting for the one song we wanted to record. Once we heard just a second of the song we were waiting for, down went the record button... half the intro be interupted by the DJ, but whatever- we had it on tape now! Whoo hooo. Those were the days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. Dawn of a new day just retold my life story. I would damn those DJ's for ruining the intros and ending to my fave songs.

    Love Haircut One Hundred, too.

    ReplyDelete